- Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)
- Methylenedioxyethylamphetamine (MDEA)
- Methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA)
- ‘Ecstasy’ refers to tablets containing MDMA, MDEA and MDA. These tablets come in different colours with different logos stamped on them. They are often sold in discos as well as night joints. People take them to enable them to dance all night and sometimes they die from exhaustion and dehydration.
- Other controlled drugs such as Ketamine and Methamphetamine, and chemicals such as paracetamol and calcium carbonate are often mixed with ‘Ecstasy’. This may cause bad reactions to the body.
What are the effects of Ecstasy?
Effects and Dangers
- Increased heart rate and blood pressure
- Jaw clenching, teeth grinding and uncontrollable shaking
- Kidney, liver and brain damage
- Long term memory loss
- Chills, sweating and vomiting
- Inability to think, see and co-ordinate properly
- Anxiety, depression and uncontrollable fear
- Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
- Loss of control of senses and reality
What are the penalties of possession or consumption of Ecstasy?
Possession or consumption of ‘Ecstasy’:
Illegal traffic of ‘Ecstasy’:
- Up to 20 years of imprisonment and 15 strokes of the cane.
Illegal import or export of ‘Ecstasy’:
- Up to 30 years of imprisonment or imprisonment for life and 15 strokes of the cane.