- Some substances, such as glue and paint thinner, give off vapours and fumes. The sniffing of such vapours or fumes is known as inhalant abuse.
- Inhalant abuse affects the growth and development of muscles, nerves and organs.
- If you are an inhalant abuser, normal activities like running and shouting can cause death by heart failure. An inhalant abuser may die from suffocation anytime. This is known as Sudden Sniffing Death. It can happen on the very first time or any other time the abuser sniffs glue.
What are the effects of Inhalants?
Effects and Dangers
- Permanent damage to brain, liver and kidneys
- Prone to bleeding and bruises
- Memory loss
- Difficulty in learning and seeing things clearly
- Loss of control of body
- Cramps, pains and bad cough
- Anxiety, depression and irritability
- Aggressive behaviour
- Dizziness, shaking and nausea
- Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
What are the penalties of possession or consumption of Inhalants?
Abuse of intoxicating substances:
- Admission to an approved centre for treatment and rehabilitation for up to 6 months, or up to 6 months of imprisonment or S$2,000 fine or BOTH
Selling or offering to sell an intoxicating substance when it is suspected that the substance is for the purpose of intoxication:
- Up to 2 years of imprisonment or S$5,000 fine or BOTH